The Waitresses: I Know What Boys Like / No Guilt

waitresses_IknowUS7

Format: 7″

Label: Antilles/ Ze Records

Country: US

Year: 1980

Price paid: $6

Purchased at: The Bop Shop, Rochester NY

 

I know what boys like

I know what guys want

I know what boys like

I know what’s on their minds…

Some songs are so iconic they need no introduction. If I was pressed to come up with a ‘Top 25’ list of best and/or most representative New Wave songs of the classic era (1978-1985) this tune would certainly be on it…

‘I Know What Boys Like’ was released as a single twice. The first (this issue) was on the Antilles/Ze label, with a re-release in 1982 in both the US and UK. It was their only US hit. Despite it’s popularity and cult status today it only reached a lowly #62 in the US and didn’t chart in the UK at all. The song is a triumphant whining expression of girl power full of sneer and bile. Covered many times by everyone from Vitamin C to Shampoo, only Patty Donahue’s caustic irony-laced delivery could ever do it justice.

The sleeve is effective in its stark red/black/white composition, the tablecloth pattern is no doubt a play on the bands name… but who the boy is and his significance remains a mystery. There’s an 75% chance that it’s one of Patty’s ex-boyfriends and a 25% chance that it’s a young Chris Butler. Possibly a combination of the two?

 

waitresses_IknowUS7a

Advertisements

One thought on “The Waitresses: I Know What Boys Like / No Guilt

  1. Pingback: New Wave Death List | New Wave and Beyond

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s